- 1 Best Recumbent Bikes for Seniors Reviews
- 1.1 1. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
- 1.2 2. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-709
- 1.3 3. EXERPEUTIC 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike
- 1.4 4. Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike
- 1.5 5. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- 1.6 6. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
- 1.7 7. Sunny Health & Fitness Recumbent Bike
- 1.8 8. MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike
- 1.9 9. Marcy NS-716R Recumbent Bike
- 1.10 10. Sunny Health & Fitness Recumbent Bike SF-RB4631 with Arm Exerciser
- 2 Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Recumbent Bike for Seniors
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 4 Final Thoughts
Best Recumbent Bikes for Seniors Reviews
The importance of exercising and maintaining good health increases as we age. Thus, if you are a senior, or a family member of one, who is looking into getting a recumbent bike that matches your purpose, this list will help you find Best Exercise Bikes For Seniors in 2021.
After thorough research and some organizing, the list below outlines every best recumbent bike for seniors on the market this year, 2021. If you are ready, let’s get started!
1. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
- Bluetooth connectivity, syncs with the Schwinn Trainer App and other apps for fitness tracking
- Sync with free downloadable RideSocial App and see the world as you virtually ride alongside friends in real time
Have you ever wondered which is the best recumbent bike for seniors? Well, according to our research, it is the Schwinn 270 recumbent bike.
The Schwinn 270 carries various options and perks for any senior’s enjoyable exercise session. It comes with a modern, blue-backlit, and Dual Track LCD screen.
The 29 programs are installed to give you diversified choices and routines. Therefore, you never have to repeat the same cycle every workout session. Besides the various options in programs, Schwinn 270 comes with 25 resistance levels of intensity. It is perfect for a wide range of users, with different preferences and fitness intensity levels, proving Schwinn 270 to be the best recumbent bike for seniors. Moreover, it is equipped with a high-quality flywheel that is perimeter weighted and set with well-controlled speed and inertia.
Amazingly, yet, various more bonuses are also present. The recumbent bike’s Bluetooth connectivity allows it to connect and correspond with the Schwinn Trainer App and your other fitness-tracking apps. Do you remember the LCD screen mentioned above? Its ultimate benefit emerged when you combined it with one of many downloadable Schwinn’s apps, Explore the World™. No more boring and lonely workout sessions as this app brings you to various virtual global locations while being physically in your room.
Other extra features include a convenient shelf for your devices, built-in speakers with input port for MP3, a USB charging port, and an adjust-flexible fan.
Being the best recumbent bike for seniors, the Schwinn 270 offers the standards necessary elements of a recumbent bike, yet with more selections and a few beneficial bonuses.
Nonetheless, it can be a bit pricy compared to its counterparts.
- 29 programs installed
- 25 resistance levels
- Bluetooth connection available
- USB charging
- Shelf for personal technological devices
- Quite costly
- Speakers might be insufficiently powerful
- The fan may not be up to scratch
2. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-709
- This item benefits from an Extended 90 Day Return Window
- STEP-THROUGH DESIGN – Featuring heavy-duty construction 14-gauge steel tubing with a powder coated finish, the step-through design allows maximum mobility during training for quick mounting and dismounting that is created easier for the knees and back.
The Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike ME-709 is another best recumbent bike for seniors. If you want something that serves your purpose without having to break the bank, this is a perfect choice.
The smart step-through structure allows you enough space to climb up and down the bike. It surely will relieve you from worries about back pain or leg pain. Thanks to its design and solid foam material, the saddle creates great comfort for every user, especially seniors.
Also, Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike comes with weighted paddles. Why is that special? These pedals distribute weight evenly and provide great control.
As notable as it may seem, there is one downside to it. This recumbent exercise bike has a limit of only 8 resistance modes. There are some options though this might be unsuitable for those who want to challenge themselves with different intensities.
Yet, it is highly compatible with simple aerobic exercises, beginners or people suffering from muscle pain.
Thanks to its simple, yet standard, functions, it is indeed the best recumbent bike for seniors. The spacious design and humble resistance levels will work wonder for people with muscle pains.
- Comfortably firm padded seat
- Counterpoise pedals
- Commodious structure
- User-friendly LCD screen
- Resistance can be adjusted
- A limit of 8 resistance levels
- No shelf for personal devices
- Lack of ports for charging and other bonuses
3. EXERPEUTIC 900XL Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Your purchase includes Exerpeutic 900 XL Recumbent Exercise Bike with Pulse; Adult Assembly required, tools provided
- Exercise Bike dimensions: 54” L x 22” W x 34” H; Product Weight: 63 pounds; Weight capacity: 300 pounds; User height – 5’3” – 6’ 6”; Seat adjustments – 5.3” - 6.6”; Magnetic Tension Levels – 8
If you struggle to find the best recumbent bike for your tallness, look no further as we have the Exerpeutic 900XL Recumbent Bike. Thanks to its adjustable seat, this machine matches the need of various users’ heights. Moreover, the seat cushion and backrest come in an ergonomic size for all types of body. Additionally, the Exerpeutic 900XL can handle up to 300 lbs of body weight.
Usually, the best recumbent bike for seniors come with a Magnetic Tension Control System, and Exerpeutic 900XL isn’t an exception. It provides you with 8 magnetic levels of resistance to choose from according to your preference. Also, it comes with a user-friendly screen to monitor your time, speed, scan, distance, heart rate and calories burned.
Moreover, you can access your pulse with the provided sensors. It is especially useful if you need to maintain your heart rate in your target zone or one recommended by your physician.
Last but not least, the Exerpeutic 900XL is the best recumbent bike for seniors because of its affordability while offering a variety of necessary functions.
This recumbent bike is great for taller folks or anyone looking for a budget yet worthwhile option. Nonetheless, due to its heaviness and immobility, it requires setting in a consistent and spacious location.
- Suitable for various heights, especially tall ones
- Adjustable seating
- Resistance options come in 8 levels
- Easy-to-read LCD
- Heart rate sensors on hand pulse
- Minimizes pressures on back and joints
- Weighty and lacks mobility
- Space-consuming and bulky
- No shelf for personal devices
- Pedals can hard to control
4. Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike
- With enhanced Bluetooth connectivity, users can set, track and monitor progress with popular app based tracking tools
- Dimensions: 65.3" L x 28.3" W x 49.6" H; Product Weight: 91.9 pounds
In spite of its relatively higher price, Nautilus R616 is regarded as the best recumbent bike for seniors thanks to the great functions it offers. For seniors having comfort high up their expectation list, this bike might be one of your most wanted pleasers.
The seat comes padded in a solidly structured design, promising you desirable comfort. There’s more! The seat, which is adjustable thanks to the sliding rail underneath, also comes with an air-conditioning back. Needless to say, they are there to give you the most pleasant workout sessions.
Similar to our top pick, Nautilus R616 also offers 25 resistance levels and 29 installed programs. The screen model is also the same as that of the mentioned recumbent bike from Schwinn.
Here’s a modern bonus: Bluetooth connectivity. It allows synchronization to the fascinating Explore the WorldTM app and your other fitness apps. Other bonuses include speakers, a water bottle holder, and a USB input port.
Despite the expensive price, Nautilus 616 offer various benefits, from rich workout options, well-structured design to great comfort for users.
It also allows connection to the Explore the WorldTM app to upgrade your usual exercise session.
Surely, it is the best recumbent bike for seniors.
- 29 programs and 25 resistance levels
- Strong structure
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Comes with a fan
- User-friendly LCD
- Connected to the Explore the WorldTM app
- Quite pricey
5. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
- Foldable recumbent exercise bike with quiet V-belt double-drive transmission system
- Precision-balanced flywheel; 8-level adjustable magnetic tension control system
Exerpeutic, a brand well known for its budget-friendly aspect, has another best recumbent bike for seniors. Let’s look at why it has earned its deserving place!
Firstly, if you ever wonder about where to store your recumbent bike, worry no more, because this Exerpeutice is foldable. It is also easy to set up or move around with transportation wheels.
Secondly, it has something others don’t; it can also be used as a desk bike with adjustable height! Additionally, it comes with a comfortable padded seat and backrest. All these features allow you to work pleasantly while keeping up with your fitness target, all at the same time.
Lastly, the design is well-structured and commodious thanks to its semi-recumbent shape.
As safe and simple as it might sound, the bike may require extra stability and flexibility from the users because of its foldable feature.
Similar to every best recumbent bike for seniors, there is also an LCD screen that comes with the bike. Of course, it serves all the standard functions that help you monitor your workout session.
Uniquely, Exerpeutic 400XL is collapsible and mobile. If your house has limited space to offer, this is the only best recumbent bike for seniors that is foldable on this list.
One downside to it is that the design requires seniors to be a bit more stable and flexible.
- Magnetic Tension control system with 8 adjustable levels
- It is collapsible
- Padded backrest and seat
- LCD screen with big text and necessary functions
- A simple recumbent bike with no technical bonuses
- Semi-recumbent structure that requires extra stability and flexibility
6. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
- Goal Track capability enables user to set individual exercise goals
- 20 levels of resistance for a wide range of workout intensity options
Another best recumbent bike for seniors from Schwinn is listed in the list which is 230 Recumbent Bike. It includes a seating that is connected to a sliding rail so you can ease your way to a suitable position.
Again, it comes with many options, from 22 fitness programs to 20 levels of intensity; you can change your resistance level to your heart content. It is also packed with various bonuses, such as built-in speakers, handy media shelf, and USB and MP3 input port.
But that does not mean it does not have anymore special features. The counterbalance drive system allows you to start your workout session with ease and full control. The essential LCD screen is also present for purpose of monitoring your performance and progress.
Every bike from The Schwinn series is the best recumbent bike for seniors thanks to their multiple benefits. This particular one offers great value for its price range. It operates smoothly with the seating structure that can be easily adjusted.
Various tech bonuses, such as a media shelf or USB and MP3 port, are present to assist in your workout sessions.
- Mid-range price, affordable for its perfect features
- 22 fitness programs to 20 levels of intensity
- Flexible sliding seat
- Clear LCD screen
- Built-in speakers
- USB and MP3 port
- Shelf for personal devices
- Speakers might not be up to scratch
7. Sunny Health & Fitness Recumbent Bike
- HANDLEBARS: Moveable handlebars transform the recumbent bike into the ultimate low impact fitness machine. Handlebars move back/forth while pedaling to increase the amount of effort during the entire movement resulting in increased calories burned
- PULSE SENSORS: Integrated pulse sensors to read heart beats per minute
Coming next is the Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike, model SF-RB4708. It has landed a spot on this list as another best recumbent bike for seniors for its distinct feature. Why is it so?
To begin with, its handlebars are moveable. If you wish to pick up your workout game with just a recumbent bike, this particular one is made for you. You can freely move the handlebars back and forth while pedaling, which gives yourself a full-body workout and burns more calories.
Moreover, instead of doing both, you can easily alternate your upper body and lower body workout. Compared to the other best recumbent bike for seniors on this list, Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Recumbent Bike is the only one that has the feature.
Seniors when looking for a recumbent bike usually search for comfortability and safety. You can worry less since this bike offers a comfy cushioned seat and a strong step-through structure.
Additionally, it offers 8 levels of resistance, pulse sensors on both handles and a digital display to record your fitness data. Finally, not every best recumbent bike for seniors is expensive; this bike, for example, comes at a very budget-friendly price.
The movable handlebars are outstanding among other functions. It is a perfect choice for anyone wanting a full-body workout session with just a recumbent bike.
However, it doesn’t cater to everyone, especially ones with upper body parts pain, for it may even worsen your condition.
- Movable handles to correspond with hands and legs movement
- Can carry up to 350 lbs
- Spacious padded seat
- Helps improve posture
- The screen can be blocked when you leave personal devices on the media shelf
- 8 resistance levels may come short for various fitness preferences
- If you suffer from pain from any upper body parts, the moveable handlebars might not be suitable for you
8. MaxKare Recumbent Exercise Bike
- 【8-LEVEL MAGNETIC RESISTANCE】The magnetic resistance can give you a smooth and whisper quiet riding experience, no worry to bother family members. 8-level magnetic resistance system customizes your workout and almost needs no maintenance. The max. weight capacity is 300 LBS.
- 【PADDED SEAT with ADJUSTABLE LEVER】Ergonomically designed seat and backrest furnished with comfortable high-density sponge. With the seat adjustable lever, it is easy and convenient for you to move the seat front/back, achieving to customize the fit for almost every user.
This is the only bike from MaxKare that made it as the best recumbent bike for seniors in 2021. Like any other bikes within this ranking, it earned its position due to the wonderful features.
The resistance intensity comes in 8 different levels, so you can choose the level that best suits you depending on your fitness preference and target. This can be adjusted easily with just a turn on the control knob simply and quickly.
Furthermore, there are 2 sets of handlebars. The first pair appears to help you balance yourself during your workout. They are foam-padded, offering a firm yet comfortable grip. The second pair comes from the side of your adjustable seat. It is equipped with pulse sensors so that you can monitor and control your heart rate.
Staying true to the “safety first” priority, this MaxKrave bike offers pedals with non-slip surface and foot-trap to secure your feet position.
Needless to say, this machine also has the essential LCD screen to provide you with feedback regarding your fitness data.
This is an affordable yet worthwhile option that is suitable for users of all ages. It is very comfortable and safe, which makes it the best recumbent bike for seniors.
The bike comes with a 30-day refund and 24/7 customer service to correspond with any problems during your usage.
However, bear in mind that there are only 8 resistance levels included. Thus, if you want something more challenging, you can look for an alternative on this list. After all, each of them features unique characteristics, which make them the best recumbent bikes for seniors.
- Comes with a beautiful LCD screen
- Includes adjustable padded seat and comfortable backrest
- Heart rate sensors available on side handlebars
- Comes with pedals preventing slips
- Safety foot-trap connected to the pedals
- Shelf for personal devices
- Easy to move with transportation wheels
- Backed by 30-day refund policy and 24/7 customer service available
- Has only 8 resistance levels, might not be suitable for various fitness levels
- The warranty only lasts for 24 months, a bit short if you need a longer period
- Not suitable for individuals over 300 lbs
9. Marcy NS-716R Recumbent Bike
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE – This recumbent bike features a fully adjustable seat that can fit a wide range of individual users. Keep your legs at a comfortable length for the best results.
- SOFT HANDLEBARS – Comes with foam-covered handlebars of standard dimensions. A solid hold on the bike will let you make the most of each exercise session.
Here we have another Marcy’s best recumbent bike for seniors. If you are thinking of an affordable option, look no further than the Marcy NS-716R and the great functions it offers.
Its has an entirely adjustable seat so you can freely fix to your desired position. By that I mean, it supports a variety of height levels, so cramping your legs will not be encountered. On both sides of the seat, there are two handlebars that come with a soft and non-slip cover.
The magnetic wheel comes with 8 levels of intensity which can be conveniently adjusted with just a turn on a knob. The easy-to-read LCD monitor supports you greatly when your need to keep track of your speed, heart rate, and calories.
The best feature so far is the bike’s mobility. It is designed with transportation wheels at the very bottom so you can move the machine to your storage place or anywhere in your house.
The Marcy NS-716R is simple yet it serves all the basic functions that a recumbent bike should have. However, the limited offering of 8 resistance levels are the only drawback to this affordable bike.
- Built-in 8 levels of resistance
- Comes with non-slip, comfortable handlebars
- Flexible seat adjustment
- Transportation wheels available for easy mobility
- LCD monitor
- If you are looking for a bit more challenge, the 8 resistance levels may seem inadequate
- Offers no shelf for devices or any tech bonuses
10. Sunny Health & Fitness Recumbent Bike SF-RB4631 with Arm Exerciser
- UPPER BODY WORKOUT: Handlebars with dual position handle grips
- DIGITAL MONITOR: Exercise digital displays: time, count, total count, calories, and count per minute
Another best recumbent bike for seniors that should not be overlooked is SF-RB4631 With Arm Exerciser. This Sunny Health & Fitness recumbent bike offers great comfort and space thanks to its tallness.
Similar to the MaxKare model, this recumbent bike also comes with 2 sets of handles, in the front bar and by the sides of the seat. The front pair allows you to balance yourself during your exercise session while the side one is there to monitor your heart rate (with the pulse sensors). The handlebars in the front come with a non-slip yet comfy cover to protect your hand from pressure during your workout. It also has a spinning handle to facilitate arm exercises.
Moreover, this bike is designed as a firm, strong structure that can handle up to 350 lbs of body mass. The seating can be adjusted to various height by flicking the side handle without having to move up and down the machine. Both the seat and backrest are fully cushioned to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride for elderly users.
This recumbent bike is also equipped with transportation wheels so that you can easily move it anywhere you want.
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RB4631 is the best recumbent bike for seniors that falls upon the simpler designs. Yet, it still manages to offer a safe and pleasant performance for users, especially elderly ones. It allows you the flexibility of posture and position thanks to various built-in handles.
The only downside is that you might find 8 levels of resistance a bit restricting if you want to challenge yourself with various ranges of intensity.
- Comes with 8 magnetic levels of intensity
- Spacious and strong design
- Flexible inseam length adjustment
- Adjustable cushioned seat and padded backrest
- High level of mobility thanks to transportation wheels
- Limitation of resistance levels
- Lack of various tech bonuses
Buying Guide – How To Choose The Best Recumbent Bike for Seniors
After going through the top ten products, we are sure that you have take some items into consideration. Let’s have a more thorough look into criteria and tips you need before making a reasonable purchase on the best recumbent bike for seniors.
Before paying for your chosen product, it is very important to finalize your or the direct users’ personal needs. The following factors will outline the necessary factors that will help you identify the best recumbent bike for seniors that you are searching for.
Exercise bicycle comes in 3 types: recumbent, upright and spinning bike models.
Among the three, recumbent bikes have the design that is most suitable for seniors. This enable them to provide greater comfort as their structure helps relieve tension on joints and muscles. Also, they allow simple movement on and off the machine thanks to its step-through form.
Most recumbent bikes have this feature but you should always check again to ensure that you get the right product for your desired purpose.
Although they may look similar, there are still a few distinguishable factors between different recumbent bikes.
The seating may come in different sizes and width. Whether the seating is adjustable should also be taken into account. Moreover, pedals’ weight may change depending on the model, with some of which offering a foot-trap. Some handlebars can be removed easily while some are firmly fixed; its position and quantity say much about the posture of support.
As you can see from the best recumbent bike for seniors in the list, resistant levels may vary according to distinguished brands and models.
Whether you are a beginner who looks for simplicity or an individual wanting some challenges, keep in mind the different range of resistance levels that a product offer. It is up to you to maintain, slow down, or harden your fitness target.
Also, if you want something that is made to last and requires least maintenance, it is highly recommended that you look for magnetic resistance.
While not every best recumbent bike for seniors comes with adjustable seating, most do. Therefore, be mindful of the height of your product and check if it is customizable. Before making any decision, ask yourself whether it is suitable for you and perhaps other users you are sharing it with.
Not every best recumbent bike for seniors is similar to one another.
You will find that different recumbent bike allows you to change the resistance level differently.
You can either go with a “quick switch” that changes your mode immediately and abruptly or another one that allows gradually increase and decrease of intensity, with the monitor provided.
Please note that usually for budget-friendly products, the “switch” can be a physical handle or slider.
Further advantageous features are sometimes added to the standard recumbent bike. As a result, they may single-handedly increase the cost of one bike, as you can see on the top 1 best recumbent bike for seniors. These features range from Bluetooth connection, speaker, USB and MP3 port to high-quality monitor, device shelves and fans.
Make sure you understand your needs and desires while working out and figure out whether the bike’s features can offer you just that.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do Seniors Need Recumbent Bikes?
Recumbent bikes offer a great way to exercise and maintain good health at a senior age, yet they are not the only option. You can have a look at the most suitable exercise equipment for seniors or some other exercise machines that serve your fitness target at your age.
It is recommended that you should focus on weightlifting and cardio exercises if you are over 30 or elderly.
However, the best thing to do is to consult your physician because they will have the correct answers to your fitness needs corresponding to your health and condition.
2. The Best Recumbent Bike for Seniors- What is Your Perfect Choice?
What do you need? What do you want? Do you like a simple or complex design? Do you need to feel comfortable? Do you want a place to keep your water bottle? What features/factors are you looking for? You will know which best recumbent bike for seniors is made for you when you have the answer to those questions.
There are many factors for your consideration. Nevertheless, to make it simple, you might want something that belongs to your lifestyle and available space or something that gives comfort rather than pain.
We personally believe the best recumbent bike for seniors is the Schwinn 270, for its amazing features, or the Exerpeutic 400XL, for its smart foldable ability.
Anyway, this is your own choice. Therefore, you should consider every aspect carefully and make the final decision.
For seniors wishing to maintain their health as well as keeping fit, recumbent bikes are fun and beneficial options. And, if you read all the way to this point, after reading the whole list, we believe you are well-equipped to make a purchase decision on your best recumbent bike for seniors in 2021. After finding out your fitness target, your health condition and your specific needs, you are good to go. Good luck with your choice!
View more on YOUTUBE: